Hamsters are one of the easiest pets to own. They are also a great companion for kids and pregnant women. They know well to entertain their owners with their interesting and acrobatic movements.
Quiet, easy going to feed, cute and smart… You don’t need to wash hamsters or walk them around. Even they don’t need to get a potty training. But if you want to have a hamster, there are some things you need to know before owning it.
Learning new things is good for them
Even though this little friend which can fit in your palm is a rodent, he rarely bites. He is very curious and wants to explore everything. He loves to play and hide things. He hides himself from humans and other animals because he likes to have a privacy. It is a meticulous and clean animal. He wants his place to be clean too. He can do his toilet to the furthest part of his place or even outside.
Living with a fellow is difficult for them
Since hamsters like to be alone, they cannot get along with their fellows. Even they fight with them. Therefore, it is more appropriate for them to live alone. They sleep very deeply. They can become very aggressive if not awakened slowly. They don’t like sunlight, bright light, or excessive noise. They are animals that sleep during the day and active at night.
Knowing the owner is their thing
The feelings of ownership are very developed. They don’t share their nest and belongings. They can’t see well but they’ve an extraordinary sense of smell and hearing. Their average lifespan is two years, but there are also those who live three years. They do not require any special care. They love to scratch and run long distances. Therefore, you should take these into account when buying items and accessories.
About their foods
Hamsters use a suitable part of the cage as a feed storage. They carry the bait on their cheeks and empty them with their front paws. There are special feeds for their nutrition. Apart from this, unsalted seeds, barley, wheat, rice, potatoes, vegetables (small amounts of peas, spinach, broccoli, carrots, lettuce), fruits (especially blueberries, bananas, strawberries, apples, pears, peaches, melon, watermelon) and animal proteins (egg yolk, lean cheese, fish) can be given. Not to be given: Citrus fruits, pineapple, kiwi, tomato, onion, garlic, eggplant, hot peppers, fruit seeds such as cherry and apple, sugar, chocolate, fatty and salty spicy foods, raw fish, chicken.
Short brief about hamsters
- They depend on their habits.
- Since their sense of smell is sharp, they know the smell of their owners.
- Since their eyesight is weak, it is necessary not to approach them suddenly and to make sudden movements. Otherwise, they may perceive it as an attack.
- There are Roborovski hamster, Gonzales hamster, European hamster, Chinese hamster, Winter white hamster, Syrian hamster, Dwarf Russian hamster and Campbell hamster breeds.
- Their height is between 10 and 20 centimeters and weigh around 200 grams.
- They live in intricate burrows dug under the ground in the steppes or agricultural areas in Europe and western Asia.