Be the hero of your child instead of creating an atmosphere of anxiety and worry in your home during these Coronavirus crisis days. Because children want to feel safe with their family.
A historical struggle is given due to the coronavirus epidemic. There is an atmosphere of concern both socially and personally. Millions of young and old people are faced with a situation they cannot foresee and sometimes they feel helpless. But no matter what happens, adults are aware that this epidemic and home quarantine will end one day. But how are children affected?
What do they feel about it? Especially the children under the age of 12 can be affected negatively when they see their parents who are constantly worried and anxious at home, when they watch death news on TV or when they are banned from going out? It is important to be a role model for children in this process. If there is a big panic in the house or if everyone is very anxious, the children react the same. In addition to that, approaching children with statements such as “The virus kills you”, “If you don’t wash your hands, you will get sick” triggers fear.
How to tell kids about coronavirus and home quarantine?
Especially children under the age of 12-13 will have difficulty to understand what is going on because they do not have abstract thinking skills. Therefore, their anxiety levels are higher than us and they will be afraid from the situation. When children are around, be careful with talking about the virus. If you think they are not listening to you, you are wrong. News is also something you should pay attention to. Children need to feel safe.
It is also not right to say to the children, “The virus kills you”, “If you don’t wash your hands, you will get sick”. The kids should feel safe when they are with their family. They should know the rules of hygiene, and it should be said that hygiene rules are as important as a healthy diet. It is necessary to explain by giving concrete examples.
When education is interrupted, parents can make a statement like this: due to a flu-like illness, school was interrupted, we had to stay at home, and measures were taken to protect. This kind of statement would be enough for them. However the child can blame the parents if the parents have always played a restrictive role. Therefore, it would be better to tell them this decision is made by the authorities.
How to approach them without creating worry?
Anxiety is not something to be feared, but a natural part of the survival. What matters is the level of anxiety and how it is managed. It is necessary to show an accepting attitude to the child whose anxiety has increased. Allow him to express his feelings and thoughts. Children can express their anxiety with a picture, a play dough, a kinetic sand, etc.
Children who are bored at home can experience bursts of anger from time to time
These days, not being able to leave the house and not being able to make sense of what is going on can cause anger in children. The main priority in any problem with the child should be giving them freedom to express their feelings. Let the angry child recognize his emotion as the first step. You can tell him ‘you are angry right now’. The second step is to be taught to count down from 10 before reacting. This will provide self-control and emotional regression. As the third step, it is given the opportunity to explain the reason for his emotion. The last step is; Anger must be expressed. You can ask the children to depict their anger with art or to express their feelings with activities such as “What if your anger was a stone? Do you show it with dough”.
What are the effective ways of communicating with children?
Our aim should always be to raise healthy children. There are no specific rules or books about raising healthy children. On the other hand, some families manage to raise such children without reading psychology articles or participating in parenting panels. We can list some of the main reasons for this as follows:
- Not being dependent on reward, the best reward is trust.
- Not being angry when they are learning new things and making mistakes.
- Not to have expectations from children in areas that were lacking in our own childhood.
- Cleaning is not everything. Offering opportunities when the child wants to experience something new is important.
- To appreciate his effort, not his success.
- To be able to patiently accept and listen to his feelings and thoughts every time. The child is just like you, the only concern is to be understood.
- You decide what to eat, but he can decide what to wear. The limit of this should be well thought out.
- Of course, the most important is ‘LOVE’. Show your love whenever the occasion comes.
30 SUGGESTIONS FOR FAMILIES
1. Turn on a loud music and dance freely.
2. Prepare jumping, running and rolling tracks with seat cushions.
3. Make a tent out of old sheets and spend time inside
4. Imitate animal walks.
5. Play shadow games with a lantern in the dark.
6. Throw a costume party.
7. Look at the old photos.
8. Print from origami pages and try different origami.
9. Make music with different objects.
10. To make your own music, visit the Chrome Music Lab page.
11. Plant at home with seeds and use vegetable roots.
12. Try painting with different materials (coal, cabbage, etc.)
13. Write letters to your loved ones.
14. Make funny faces in front of the mirror.
15. Talk about emotions and examples of different facial expressions.
16. Draw and animate paper puppets.
17. Animate the story you are reading.
18. Ask him to interrupt the story and imagine the end.
19. Cook together.
20. Cut images from old magazines and make a collage.
21. Paint the pastas, index them as accessories, paint by pasting.
22. Examine every day to get to know a sports branch.
23. Examine every day to become familiar with a musical instrument.
24. Try to learn about a bird species and songbirds every day.
25. Wash toys.
26. Blindfold and ask their smells to guess objects.
27. Read children’s magazines together
28. Visit virtual museums on the internet
29. Remember what you liked to play as a child and teach your children about your childhood games.
30. Ask what they want to play, let your inner child have fun together.