Specialist Işıl Kırgiz Karahasanoğlu, who draws attention to the importance of starting the first dental examination with the first teeth appearing in children, she also suggests that regular dental check-ups are necessary in long term.
Işıl Karahasanoğlu is stating that milk teeth play a role in proper speech development and correct pronunciation of letters, she also points out to the fact that 20 milk teeth in total actually guiding the permanent teeth that will come later. Therefore, Işıl Karahasanoğlu expresses that extracting a milk tooth earlier is a negative thing for dental health in kids. Those are some important information she shares about kids’ dental health in general.
First teething starts before the age of one
Children’s first dental examination should be carried out when the first tooth comes out. Generally, the temporary teeth begin to appear when children are aged between 6-12 months. During this first examination, mothers are given oral hygiene training. In addition to this, some other information shared with mothers such as how to prevent teeth decay and nutritional feeding. With these regular check-ups, an important step is taken for healthy and cavity-free future in long term.
Protective dentistry for a cavity-free future
Işıl Kırgız Karahasanoğlu states that the aim of pediatric dentistry is about taking preventable measures for dental problems which will direct kids to caries-free future. In this aspect she expresses some works done by pediatric dentists below:
- Pediatric dentists determine caries risk group in children. And they take protective and preventive actions regarding this. What are these practices? Oral hygiene knowledge, fissure sealant and local fluoride application etc.
- In addition to the development of the jaw during growing up, it also deals with the follow-up of the way and order of the teeth.
- It prevents possible crooked teeth by applying preventive orthodontic treatments.
- It applies placeholder appliances in the early loss of milk teeth and thus prevents possible crowding and loss of space.
- In case of harmful habits such as thumb sucking, prolonged pacifier or bottle use and nail biting, it ensures that these habits are left with appliances that will weaken them.
- In case of missing permanent teeth, dentists arrange prosthesis tooth. Thus, it provides an aesthetic appearance and plays an active role in the easing of chewing.